St. Michael’s Parish began in 1914 when 45 families met for Mass in a fire hall on Dodge Street and 51st Avenue East. Bishop James McGolrick appointed Father Michael Boland first resident pastor. Construction of a parish school began in 1915 under Father Thomas Hennebry and in September 1923, St. Michael’s Catholic School opened its doors to students. Staffed by Sisters Clementine and Eleanor of the Dominican Sisters of Springfield, Illinois, the sisters ran the school until 1984. The parish purchased the Lakeside School building in 1994, creating St. Michael’s Lakeside School to serve preschool through lower elementary students. In 2018 the elementary school was reorganized, and St. Michael's become an early learning center.
For over ninety-five years, St. Michael’s has educated students in the tradition of the Dominican Sisters. Guided by our patron, St. Michael’s Lakeside School continues to offer students a Catholic vision of the world that focuses on inclusivity, collaboration, justice, integrity, and life-long learning.